For those of you who know me well, you know that I'm completely crazy and my thoughts fly from place to place like wildfire. For those of you who don't know me, this is something that you will soon probably learn.
I think most people put a barrier on how fast their mind thinks. They take thoughts in slowly, in bite sized pieces that can be easily managed. It makes the incredible powers of the human mind seem less intense. For those who decide to use full power of their mind though, they can gain so many more benefits. I know so many people who get bored easily, who constantly need entertainment through the means of technology or other stimulating activities. I think the wisest people are those that sit down and entertain themselves through mental stimulation alone. Just having a conversation with themselves in their head about their surroundings. It makes a person at internal peace.
Something I believe is that as children, we didn't have this barrier on our thoughts. As kids, we would always play imaginative games, something that very few people play nowadays. It was the norm to play with dolls and create complex stories for them, or to play House and take the roles on ourselves. We were constantly creating our world.
Somewhere along the line though, probably around middle school, possibly earlier, we learn from society that this free form of thinking is bad. We suppress our intelligent thoughts and fill them with stupid. Our minds melt as we go through life observing the work of others like TV, or wasting time on games developed for easy enjoyment, or talking to other unintelligent people about pretty much nothing. It's a shame, but I believe that with effort this bad habit can be gotten rid of.
So little times in our life are we asked to just sit and think. When we got an assignment in which we were supposed to chart our though processes, I was interested to see what people would come up with and what I would create.
I assumed to find some common topics, but after doing the project I didn't think that everything was so interconnected. All of the things I listed linked to 4 different topics: Freedom, Purpose, Happiness, and Power. Some things I listed even linked to 2 of these topics at the same time. It was so interesting to see how unrelated things are completely connected. One problem I had actually was finding space to bring lines back to my basic point.
My favorite path that I created started from listing Friends. The path went friends -> new experiences -> insight -> knowledge -> power. Insight, that's such a fantastic word. After making that path, I found that almost anything I liked could be linked to new experiences, insight, knowledge, and power. It all started making sense.
Then the project became more serious, and more scary. I became honest with myself and listed things that I secretly loved. Sprouting from my name, I put Sadness. Why did I like sadness so much? Well, sadness -> darkness -> evil -> power. That gave me chills. The only way I could react was sitting in awe. I've often had those kind of thoughts suppressed. When my mind was given permission to run free though, it ran wild. I had to admit to myself that the reason why I can be depressive is because of a craving for the power of evil and darkness.
Enough about myself though. Seeing other people's projects, I could tell even before reading the words they listed what they were like. Some people's charts consisted of only of horizontal and vertical lines, while others had diagonals. Some were written small and others large. Some had large spaces while others where compressed. It's so funny how much people give away without knowing it.
I don't know if any of you have ever heard of a Freudian Slip. It's basically when someone slips up a sentence they're saying by saying something accidentally that they've had in the back of their mind. For example, a person asks, "Would you like some bread and butter or cake?" to which the other person responds, "Bed and butter, oops!" You can see whats really on their mind. We don't just do this in speech though. We do this all the time in simple ways that only very careful people can observe, like body language, among other things.
But all of those things are written out on the wall now.
The whole damn wall is a Freudian slip! How marvelous is that?? And how unexpected! More on this later I'll bet.
ReplyDeletePower, Ellen. At the end of your paths is power.
Was it last year you felt so powerless?
I would say just last year, but it's a thing that's been around pretty much my whole life.
ReplyDeleteWow, I really liked how you talked about our imagination as a child. I can empathize with that because I've began to realize as I grow older, my creativity as a child is slowly fading into black.
ReplyDeleteIt's a problem for me! :(
I completely agree with Michelle. I realized that as I am growing p just the imagination and creativity to approach everything with such boldness has faded. As if when we grow older the border around our mind grow tighter resisting any free thinking.
ReplyDelete