Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Post #1

I begin this blog, we watch The Prisoner, and tracing some pictures

And so it finally begins. I walk in the STAC classroom and I don't quite know what to expect. What I do see though is everyone rocking out to Ballroom Blitz. I'm optimistic for this class. I know that it won't be like any other.

First we watch a show called The Prisoner. In my opinion, it was quite clever, and creative to the extent where it became completely random. At first it seemed simple: A spy who resigns is kidnapped and taken to a small town with no escape as he is questioned about the reason for his resignation. Then it starts getting weird. For example, some man screams something on a megaphone and everyone suddenly stops in place. A large white bubble comes and it seems like he attempts to eat somebody. I'm still trying to figure out who this bubble is and why he attacks random people. 

There's also a lot of symbolism. The main character is given a number (number 6) and is only referred to by his number, not his name. This seems to imply that they view the citizens as objects and not people. Also, if you listened carefully, the citizens always said "Be seeing ya", which implies that being stuck together, they see enough of each other they don't even need to say goodbye. I can't wait too see more episodes.

The next day (being today) we learned the art technique, a little thing called copying. I have learned that there is no cheating in art. We live to get as much money as we can, to survive. Artists have always copied little things from other artist. Michelangelo, Da Vinci, they all did it. If they can do it we can too. This makes me more optimistic about making art, considering the fact that I not the best drawer. So with the help of pencil, a ballpoint pen, a picture of Lotte Lenya, and some watercolors, I created art. I feel accomplished!

By the way Luke, I agree. I don't understand how cigarettes could ever have been attractive.

1 comment:

  1. They are gross, aren't they? Maybe only Lauren Bacall and Marchello Mastroanni can actually pull off sexy with a cigarette.

    You'll get better at art. Heck, in two years you have no idea how much you'll improve. The mural outside of the STAC room - most of that was drawn by non-artists who learned to draw in STAC.

    Be Seeing Ya!

    ReplyDelete