Doing this improv was pretty unpleasant. First of all I was considering the fact I had a boyfriend, which made me uncomfortable. Then I was considering that I had sex with this boyfriend and got pregnant, which made me even more uncomfortable. I've never been involved romantically with a guy. Ever. So that really scares me. And what's even scarier is how that could be a reality sometime in the near future.
I went along with the improv though, to see where it would lead. In the beginning I didn't really know what to say, but I started to ease into it after a while, and the words came from my mouth without having to think about it. What shocked me the most were the insults that came out of my mouth, specifically when I said "You're just jealous because you don't have a boyfriend." In that moment everything just froze. Usually my mind would filter out those kind of things, but in the Jim Bonney improv environment, you don't use your head. That came from a deep place.
It made me think, sometimes its okay to use your brain. If we were to all follow our animal instincts, we would probably all end up killing each other.
"In the beginning I didn't really know what to say"
ReplyDeleteOh, like a pregnant 14 year old confessing to her sister would know what to say, huh? Seems you did exactly what was real.
"It made me think, sometimes its okay to use your brain. If we were to all follow our animal instincts, we would probably all end up killing each other."
YES! We are civilized, aren't we? And it keeps us from saying awful things and doing awful things. But... in the theatre, we are no longer civilians. We become animals, and we let ourselves go. And when it is over - the improv, the play, etc., we smile and laugh because it's fun! And it is safe. It's ok to say that stuff in the context of acting, in the context of theatre.
Do you understand?