Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Creative Habit: A Creative Autobiography of Ellen Cooper


  • What is the first creative moment you can remember?
I think I was around the age of 7 when this happened. My brother was playing his new game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, which I'm sure you've all heard of. My mom was making me practice my violin, which surprisingly, is not something she made me do very often as a child. As I sat on the couch with the violin in my hands, I watched the opening credits to the game for the upfteenth time. That song was basically engrained into the back of my mind. It was at that moment I figured, heck I can play this! I picked up my violin, and there I was, playing along to the video game soundtrack itself, pitch for pitch. 
  • Was anyone there to witness it?
My brother was pretty ecstatic when he saw I could play his favorite theme song. Later, my mom came and I showed her. She was pretty impressed as well. Even my dad, Mr. Hard to Please, took pleasure in my abilities.
  • What is the best idea you ever had?
I'm not sure if this implies an artistic idea or just a regular idea in general. If this implies a general idea, then my best idea would be how I cleaned out my basement and turn it into a music studio. Once I have an established place for myself and my work, I was able to accomplish a lot more. I believe that all of my achievements from the creation of the studio have derived from the studio itself. My inspiration to practice and work hard, my curiosity for exploring various genres of music through miscellaneous CDs my mom has forgotten in the basement, my curiosity about different cultures I explore through reading books (now organized), and of course, my album.
  • What made it great in your mind?
I could have privacy and organization. Considering how much of a crap hole my house is and how much my mom likes to nose into my business, this sounded pretty good to me. Alright, my mom's not that nosy. But I'd rather not try to be writing songs in the living room where everyone's breathing down my back and telling me to shut off the piano because they want to watch The Daily Show.
  • What is the dumbest idea?
I don't believe this is my dumbest idea in life, but it probably is a pretty stupid decision for my career. For some odd reason, while at a performing and creative arts camp, I've spent my past 3 summers learning comedy instead of working on music. 
  • What made it stupid?
It's not like my camp doesn't have a music program. They do, and it's actually pretty great, considering how it offers music groups such as orchestra, marching band, a cappella choir, jazz band, and pit orchestra. Not to mention that you have the ability to take lessons in any instrument you please, as long as you can rent it out. No. Instead of embracing all of these opportunities, I wrote sketches and coached an improv troupe, both of which I'm probably not qualified to do in any respect. Not to mention, I missed out on the opportunity of making connections with the young musicians there and the counselors, many of whom are professional musicians or teachers. Many of my friends told me, "Ellen, why are you a CIT in the clown shop when you're actually talented in something else?" I tell them it's because I do what I want, but I always wonder if things could've played out better.
  • Can you connect the dots that lead you to this idea?
Before I joined STAC, I had the fantasy that I was going to be on SNL. I figured it'd be a pretty good fit for me, because I always enjoyed making people laughed and it seemed to be something I'm good at. Once I found my calling in music however, I was already far too deep in my comedy training, both emotionally and commitment wise, to give it up. Plus, I liked the people better. The kids are just smarter in general.

Again, I don't think I regret it as a decision in my life, because learning the art of comedy has greatly empowered me as a person and taught me many important life skills. In terms of a career in music though, I probably missed out on a great opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. ANy sort of comedy/directing/acting will feed your music. Don't regret. Move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling my comedy experience a dumb idea is an exaggeration. I don't regret it at all. In truth, I don't regret much in my life. The only thing I can regret are missed opportunities, but when they're replaced with equally great choices, I don't have much to worry about.

    I've got a lot going for me this year. I can't wait to move forward.

    ReplyDelete