This weekend I was in Montreal at an MUN conference, and I figured it would be a good time to see if the common Canadian stereotypes are true. As a frequent traveler, I've learned two things about foreigners. First of all, they like to talk about what their country's stereotypes are, so they can prove them true or false. Secondly, they love to make fun of the US.
So during a break period, I was talking to a group of delegates and I asked them if they could tell me the validity of certain stereotypes. They all gladly agreed.
"Is it true that all Canadians are super nice?"
Immediately everyone answered "NO." Frankly, I wasn't surprised.
One of the delegates explained the misconception.
"Canadians are just average. Think of it this way. Let's say you have two cars. One is extremely beat up and the other one is mildly bruised. The US is the beat up car, and Canada is the average car. When the beat up car is put next to the average car, the average car is gleaming! It's golden!"
So no, Canadians are not extremely nice. They simply express their distaste towards others in a passive-aggressive way.
As far as I know though, the other stereotypes hold true. Canadians do say "Ey" and "Aboot," although it's pretty subtle. Also, Canadians love maple syrup so much, the country has a maple syrup reserve, just in case there's a crisis.
No comments:
Post a Comment