Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ska Workshop 1

Today, we just threw ourselves into the music. Freddie explained to us how to base chords off of notes in a scale, and how to do chord progressions. We worked on the chord progression 1 6 4 5. One of the key elements of the style is the strong upbeat, which was played by the drums, piano, and rhythm guitar. We then took the melody of a few songs we knew with the same chord progression and played it over the backup. In no time we were making music!

We also spent a lot of time focusing on music theory. Along with chord progressions, we also learned about the three different 7 chords: the major 7, dominant 7, and minor 7. We tested our ability to listen and differentiate between the types, and we also learned finger exercises. It wasn't easy, but I'm sure with practice that we'll be able to lift our middle and pinky finger together while leaving all other fingers absolutely still.

What I hope to accomplish in this workshop is to learn more about music theory, and effectively put it into action. I have two guitar teachers and one saxophone teacher, each trying to teach me this theory, but with all these voices at once it all just blows over my head. I hope that in this workshop I'll be able to straighten everything out and understand it, and along with this understanding, be able to use it. I mean what's the point of learning something if you're not gonna put it into good use?

1 comment:

  1. I really want to, but the thing is I don't have any openings in my schedule in 10th grade. In 11th grade I'll have one opening, and I'm deciding whether I should do music theory or chamber orchestra then. Decisions desicions!

    ReplyDelete