Yesterday, I decided with all of my confusion and frustration, it was the perfect time to write my Type 9 song. Indecisive, unable to form opinions, I think I get it. Quickly after writing my blog post, I ran off to my basement and wrote one of the best choruses I've ever written. I think I'm starting to get the idea of turning your problems into art.
This is one sign of how useful the concept album is. As shown above, I was able to take my feelings, categorize them in a way that made sense, and in turn I wrote a pretty good song. Having the constraints of working under certain types has made my world limited enough to focus on a topic, but broad enough to do whatever I'd like creatively.
All musicians currently lost. Make a concept album.
I think I remember Luke saying once that he would always tell him musicians to make a concept album and then only take a few songs. It's a good idea. And making concept albums off of a subject with a set number already gives you a goal. I'm currently in the middle of 4 songs, and it hasn't even been a full week!
For my own amusement, and perhaps for your help, my dad and I brainstormed a bunch of ideas for concept albums. Some had potential, others were just silly.
Good Ideas
- The 7 Deadly Sins
- The 7 Colors of the Rainbow
Not So Good Ideas (But it might work if you're creative)
- The 7 Days of the Week
- The 12 Months of the Year
- The 12 Sides of the Zodiac
- The 12 Chinese Sides of the Zodiac
- The 5 Boroughs of New York City
- The 4 Oceans
- The 7 Continents
- The 4 Directions (5 if you're Chinese)
- The 5 Senses (plus balance and kinestetics)
- The 3 Meals (plus snack)
- The 5 Food Groups
- The 4 Blood Types
- The 26 Letters of the Alphabet
- The 50 States (plus the District of Columbia)
- The 92 Naturally Occurring Elements
- The 95 Theses
- The 365 Days of the Year
If anyone wants to contribute to my list, go right ahead.
But just in case you guys don't believe me in my faith for concept albums, let me show you a few.
| Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band |
![]() |
| The Wall |
![]() |
| The Four Seasons |
![]() |
| The Planets |



No comments:
Post a Comment